Sunday, October 4, 2015

Scooter! (back in the UK!!)

"Scooter gang" forming at the red light :)
As the title indicates, this post is about none other than my favourite mode of transporting oneself: Scooters!!
They are everywhere and I mean everywhere. It even feels like there's more scooters than cars. Parking lots for cars are very familiar to all, but one (or more) for scooters was a totally new concept for me. And these parking lots are naturally everywhere too! In our smaller campus alone there are at least three! I don't know how it is at the bigger Kuang fu campus but I bet it's a lot more than three. Also, every time you're waiting for the green light you'll see the scooters gather and I can't help but think that they're all part of a scooter gang! :) They're quite the sight. (see pic above)
One of the scooter parking lots at our Boai campus
Everyone is scooting around here! And when I say everyone, I mean everyone. I've seen people alone, with two even three people. Usually you see mothers with one or two kids on board. Once there was a family of four riding on one scooter. They have gone so far with the concept of riding with small children that they have even added kids seat in front of the regular seat (see pic below). However, the most exquisite sight is the people driving with their pets, usually dogs. Like the other day I saw a girl with her tiny dog scooting along the road the dog is just freely sitting on the leg space of the scooter, no leash no nothing! That really went to my top ten weirdest things I've seen here-list. It was just so bewildering especially if I think about doing the same thing with one of our dogs! It would never happen in a million years! :')
Scooter with a kid seat
Just the other day I was walking along the road browsing the shops on my way, when suddenly I hear an oncoming siren. I imagined a police car or maybe an ambulance on its way to an emergency somewhere far away. To my utter surprise I see this scooter stop right in front of me with red and blue lights a-blazing and an incredibly loud siren screeching. Off comes this officer who gets into a heated discussion with what I assumed was the shop keeper of the nearby store, and just as suddenly as he'd arrived he jumped back on the scooter and drove of. The sirens were screaming the whole time so I've no idea how the two managed to have an actual conversation amid the noise but it seemed that at least something got resolved.
Police scooters

No comments:

Post a Comment